Re: Panasport question

To: Geegc@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Panasport question
From: "David Totah" <dstotah@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 14:45:58 -0700
I have been looking for a deal on Panasports for 3 weeks now.  Here is what
I have found.  If anyone has found better, let me know.
15x6 seems to be the size to go with to avoid any fender modifications that
may be needed from using a wider rim.
I called Panasport for the correct offset (which was given at +15mm)
The lug pattern is 4x4.5" (or 4x114.3mm)

Now they aren't cheap. I checked a few places online and the average price
is about $180.  Tirerack has them for $190 each wheel, which would make nice
with the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 for $53 a tire.
(Mean looking wheels).  You can often avoid sales tax and such by ordering
online, and when buying a tire/wheel combo from Tirerack, they mount and
balance the wheels for your, so when you get the wheel you are ready to
mount them and show off the new rims.

$180 and $190 is a little rich for my blood so I began shopping around
locally.  Panasport reccommended me to America's Tire CO.
I called one store and they offered to match the $53 (195/50/15) per Kuhmo
tire (VR Rated..nice tire), they are selling the rims at $175 each (good
price considering the small internet selection to choose from).  They get
you with the tax, and lug nuts ($1.25 ea) and the mounting and balancing
charges)  The total package price was quoted at 1051.81 after tax.
LIKE I SAID>>>they aren't cheap
I wanted to make sure that I wasn't getting taken to the cleaners though, so
I called another America's Tire Co. branch and they quoted me 1171.20.  I
called them on the price and the guy froze and didn't say a word.  His
manager then got on the phone and we spoke.  He offered to match the other
store's price, and I asked why they didn't offer that price in the first
place.

Anyway, I found a friend of a friend that works at yeat another ATC.  He put
together a deal for $1,021.18.  I can trade in my thick Innertubes (good
year t-metrics that have about 1000 miles on them) for a $15 per tire
credit.
I was quoted $165 per rim, and $55 per Kuhmo tire.  The lugs are $1.25 ea
(you will need 16 lugs).  I haven't called back yet, but I think I can get
him to get rid of the $9.00 balancing fee per wheel.  I hope..

Anyway, I hope this long story helps....good luck and let me know if you
find them for a better price.
If anyone is interested in a group purchase to leverage buying power...let
me know.

Dave
'69 2000