Timing gears

To: "Datsun List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing gears
From: "Mark Haverly" <mark.haverly@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 20:17:47 -0800
Thanks to ALL that replied regarding the timing gears.  I did not have time
to pull the front cover off of the engine, BUT I did a quick check with the
valve cover off.  The gears (at least the one I could see) looks like it's
in good shape.  However, the chain has quite a bit of slack in it.  It was
brought to my attention by someone that looked at it when it was for sale,
but I didn't look at it any closer.  I assume it could be the tensioner
and/or the chain??

My hope is that all I have to do is put a seal/gasket kit in it.  I don't
mind rebuilding the engine.  However, with the timing components as pricey
as they are, maybe a swap would be a better alternative.

Ramblings of a rookie...

Mark
'69 2000
Sacramento, CA