Re: electrical problems again

To: datsun_sports <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: electrical problems again
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:28:35 -0800
Mike,

How old is that battery?  Is it possible that you have a bad cell?  Do you have
good battery cables with molded on connectors or repair connectors?  I have seen
corrosion problems with the repair connectors when the connection to the cable
starts to corrode.  If the battery is older, or you have not charged it for some
time, it may have sulfated, which could ruin the battery.  I have had my car
apart for some time.  I put the charger on the battery every couple of weeks to
keep it charged and prevent sulfating.

Is the negative battery cable solidly bolted to the engine block, and the block
reliably connected to the chassis and frame?  My car has braided ground straps
around both motor mounts to insure a good ground to the frame, and I checked the
wires running from the frame to the body to insure there would be no problems
there.

It is always possible that the starter is defective, but that would not kill
other electrical loads.  Assuming all fuses are good, a bad battery, battery
cable, or poor connection could.

I received my carbs back from Keith this afternoon.  They are beautiful and I
can't wait to get the time to put them on, start the engine and get it warmed it
up so I can adjust the valves after changing the head gasket and set the carbs
up
correctly at last.

Tom
69 2000