problem solved - another question on heat

To: "Datsun Forum" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: problem solved - another question on heat
From: "datsun_sports" <datsun_sports@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:29:09 -0800
hi all,

thx to all those who replied. it turned out to be my battery. i pulled the
alternator and battery and took them in to be tested. the alternator tested
fine. a different person at checker out a meter on it and told me right away
that it was shot and would not hold a charge. i told her i brought it in two
days ago and someone else tested it then charged it and called it good. she
shook her head and stated that it was toast. i should have gone to her first
as she has always taken care of me. anyway the car is up and running again.
im getting a good 14.5 off the alternator and the battery when the car is
running. 12.5 off the battery at rest.

now the heat:

in the past the car has sat around 190 on the gauge but now it hit around
210 and seemed to be climbing when i decided to shut it down. i am going to
replace the thermostat since i have not done so since getting the car. any
other thoughts? all the hoses are new and its filled up as far as i can
tell. i have used a screw drive to depress the thermostat to allow the water
to get into the radiator.

thx again for all the help. this has been a learning experience.

mike