Smag laws

Subject: Smag laws
From: Tracy Nelson <tnelson@irr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:04:28 -0600
I don't live in California but I do have an opinion.

May times when people are talking about the environmental impact of a peace
of legislation, specifically  what comes out of a tail pipe, they forget to
look at the larger picture of the whole vehicle.

What is the environmental impact of replacing a vehicle already on the road
with a freshly minted one?  The pollution created to build a modern auto is
not taken into the final equation.  Smelting the steal, creating the
plastics, electricity used in the manufacture, etcetera...all should be
considered.

I would venture a guess that, all things considered, my 25 year old car has
less forecasted impact on our environment over say a 5 year period than a
new vehicle.

Rebuttals are not only welcome but encouraged.

Tracy Nelson