Re: Overheating/Grounding?

To: The Hoovers <audela2@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating/Grounding?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:26:52 -0600 (CST)
If you fuel gauge reads low and your temp gauge reads high, you probably
have two problems. I would start by checking the temperature of the engine
no the thermostat housing. (I don't remember if you have a 2L or 1.6L, but
if you have a 2L you can put a thermometer in the radiator fill neck). See
if the engine temperature is really what the dash gauge reads. These
gauges are really good at being bad! If the gauge reads the same as the
thermometer then you really do have an overheating condition. The places I
would check are timing, fuel mixture, radiator hose condition (Inside
may be colapsed while the outside looks fine). Since you have already
checked the thermostat, I woould rule that out. How about trapped air in
the engine? Did you check the coolent level after running the engine for a
few minutes?

I don't recall your initial e-mail, so did this just happen all of a
sudden without you making any changes to the car? My 1.6 had an
overheating from the time I bought it. It turns out that the head had been
cut WAY too much, pushing the compression ratio way up. Even with a clean
radiator, timing and carbs set correctly, it still overheated at speeds
over 60. Replacing the head took care of it.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of help.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA