Back on the Road/ Roadster solidarity

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Back on the Road/ Roadster solidarity
From: snyler <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:29:04 -0600
Well my 70 1600 is back on the road!  Thanks to everybody on the list
for your troubleshooting input.  Thanks to Pat Horne for coming down
Saturday from Lockhart with his wife for rolling up his sleeves and
going through everything.  Fred Scroeder was ready to come down
Sunday from the Dallas area to help, and called Saturday night to see
how things went.  What a generous and helpful group this is!

The problem seems to have been an obstruction in the front carb's
fuel delivery.  Either in the short tube from the float bowl to the
main jet or in the main jet itself.  I had swapped out the rear main
jet earlier and we went ahead and swapped out the front jet and the
fuel starvation seems to have cleared up.  Enough that i could
actually drive it to town to gas up (after adding a couple gallons,
it was way down)

Things Pat did:
Adjust valves (now that I've seen it done, I think I can do it)
Check compression  (reasonable results)
Adjust carbs using colortune and unisyn ( this narrowed the trouble
to the front carb and prompted the jet replacement.

The car pulls strong past 5k now.  Quite a difference from before.
I'd forgotten what the roadster grin felt like.

-Marc