Overheating & Frustration

Subject: Overheating & Frustration
From: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:59:07 -0700
After checking the thermostat (checked ok) and the temperature of the water
in the radiator (pretty much matches the gauge, which is an after-market
mechanical one, I decided to try and reset the timing.  That's when
everything it seems just fell apart.

The engine started running so rough that it was impossible to get a good
reading on the timing.  Having spent a good weekend not long ago balancing
the carbs with some success, I was hesitant to suspect fuel mix.  That
didn't last for long because the engine sputtered and stopped.  Filled the
tank with gas (I try to address the obvious first) & took off the air filter
from the carbs.  Still nothing.. it would occasionally try to turn over but
just not make it.  I checked the dashpots on the carbs, which were full of
gas and the floats were floating.  I pulled the spark plugs and noted that
#3 was wet & smelled strongly of gas.  The carb that feeds #3 turned out to
have the arm that is on the bottom (I think it controls the nozzle) stuck as
far down as it would go, and it was spilling gasoline down the bottom of the
carb.  I pushed it back up, where it clicked into place & tried starting the
car.  I got the most spectacular backfire out of the carb that I think I've
ever seen!  I can't even be in the same room as someone blowing up balloons
because I can't stand the sound of a popping balloon.  This backfire just
about sent me in orbit.

I feel like I'm at square one again... we had similar problems with starting
with the original engine that we replaced several months back.  Any
thoughts/ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Charlotte Hoover
Phoenix, AZ
'64 SPL310 1500
'64 SPL310 1600