Re: Overheating & Frustration

To: audela2@cox.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating & Frustration
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:47:19 EST
Charlotte,

       Start with the basics:

valve lash
valve timing: At tdc 360 degrees from firing the exhaust valve should be just
closed and the intake valve just opening. kind of resting in the valley
between the two lobes.
compression
ignition timing
make sure the choke is unstuck (push the nozzle up) the big backfire was from
flooding. Try carb cleaner spray on the choke/nozzle area.
Radiator: take off both hoses, duck tape the guarden hose to the bottom
(outlet)of the radiator and run water backwards through it. Flushes crap out
of the top tank. Also I have a reverse flushing tool that uses water and
compressed air that I could loan you if you have compressed air at your
house.
Block: Pull thermostat and reverse flush.
thermostat: is it actually opening and the radiator getting hot? Make sure it
is installed with the temp sensitve side down in the head.

enough of the high speed brain dump, off to work I go. Let us know how it
goes.

                                                 keith