re: Volvo calipers

To: <csp311@telia.com>
Subject: re: Volvo calipers
From: " Don Boyd" <dbji@whidbey.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:44:13 -0800
A carbureted 240 hummmm?? Not a critter we would ever see in the states.In
fact, there hasn't been a carb to be seen on a new US market Volvo since 72 or
73.Sorry for speaking too broadly. I forget the list is a world community. I
think  240s after about 79 or so in the states used vented rotors, and
according to the parts book, some prior to that, but I really don't remember
seeing any. I couldn't be sure on the 240 caliper spacing since I didn't have
one lying around to check, and one of the cars I've used them on to convert to
vented brakes, BMW 2002s, used both the 3" and the 3,25 " spacing. Thanks for
the clarification. I used the word "may" since I really didn't know what the
other market cars used, and it's best not to speak in absolutes, or else....
Do you have Mr. Allen's web site address for his roadster conversion?

Don Boyd
WA USA

From: Thomas - Sweden <csp311@telia.com>
Subject: Re: Volvo brakes

I know Volvo cars. My family have had some 40+ Volvo cars
that we have used and maintained for the past 50 years.
120-1800 had dual cirquit from 1968 because of law changes
in Sweden. Not all 240 had ventilated front rotors or not at least
for the first 14 years of production. Vented rotors were only used
on fuel injection models. All 240 front calipers had the same bolt
spacing and the same as for 140-160. 240 had metric bolts (12 mm)
140 had UNC-UNF (7/16"). My dad had a 144 with VIN #000375. It
had dual cirquit brake system like all other 140-160. Steve Allen have
good instructions on installing Volvo front brakes to the Roadster
on his site.

Thomas