Roadsteritus

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roadsteritus
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 10:59:17 -0500
After lying dormant for about 30 years this insidious disease has again
manifested itself in my life. Mother's Day weekend Elayne and I took our
youngest grandson (10) down to Elayne's Mom's place in the Texas Hill
Country, NW of San Antonio. On Saturday I drove over to Marc Tyler's place
to shoot some video of some animatronic parrots they're working on.

After shooting for a while we decided to grab some lunch at a very nice
place called The Feed Barn (I kid you not, but don't let the name fool you)
a few miles from Marc's. Marc's particularly happy with the way hi 1600's
running since Pat Horne came over and tweaked the carbs, so we took the
roadster. After lunch Marc "made" me drive back. Yeah..., right...! We're
going back down next weekend for the long and plan on getting Elayne in the
roadster so she, too, will be assimilated.  ;>)  Somehow I doubt it'll take
much effort.

It'll be a while, though, before we can scratch this new itch as we're
living in a 2 BR apartment and our 510's are in storage along with most of
our things. A bit of background, our first Datsun was a new '70 2000,
followed about a year later by our first 510, a '71 4-dr, bought after
Elayne began to have trouble getting in and our of the 2000 due to her
advancing pregnancy with our oldest son. Not long after we swapped the 2000
for a second 510, something we've often regretted. I subbed to this list
after attending the All Datsun Shasta Meet in '98 after meeting a number of
list members there. Figured I'd just keep up and contribute when I could.

Anyway, we're just in the planning stage until we at least have a place to
store, and hopefully work on, another "project". We'd really like another
2000, but Pat suggested we consider a 1600 with a "big" R-16 since this
would just be a weekend cruiser. I'd like a 5 speed and maybe 4.11 gears,
too, although that might be a bit low. Thoughts and suggestions are always
appreciated. Please don't start pointing us toward cars as the temptation
just might prove irresistible.

We're currently looking for 10 to 12 acres west of Temple and once we find
that we plan on a large auto shop and a smaller wood shop in addition to the
house. Hopefully we'll be able to get started on the construction in the
next six months to a year. Not having a place to work on the carts is a real
drag.

BTW, congrats Mike. The fun has just started. I hope the kids are close
enough so that you can fulfil you grandparent's obligation of spoiling the
child rotten. Our four, girls 5 and 7, and boys 10 and 11 are in Fort Worth
and we have a ball.

Ron

Ronnie Day
rday@hot.rr.com