Re: Airbox for Mikuni 44's

To: Bryan Martin <bmartin@tlvengineering.com>
Subject: Re: Airbox for Mikuni 44's
From: Greg Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:51:47 -0700
Bryan Martin wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I recently installed Mikuni 44's on my '69 2000 and have been very pleased
> indeed with the improved performance.  In the quest for even more
> horsepower, I'd like to ask if any one has come up with an air box for the
> Mikunis?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bryan

Bryan, I have been running an airbox on my '67 2000 for several  years now.  It
has gone through several different versions, but what I have now is not bad for
home made setup, and it does really help.  It is a three piece unit that uses a
modified Solex air cleaner backing plate, a specially shaped piece of sheet
metal
to work as the front cover, and a separate plate with a large intake hose that
bolts to the left side of the airbox.  Clearances are tight, especially if you
want to run velocity stacks, which I did, and that makes the design tricky.  If
you did not use velocity stacks, it would be much easier.  Another option would
be to design one that has the stacks built into it, and then have the whole unit
bolt to the carbs using a second backing plate.  Since I do not know how to
weld,
and I don't have easy access to serious metal working tools, I had to work
within
my means, but I think it came out pretty darn good, and most important it is
quite functional.  It is also working great as a way of mounting my
water/alcohol
spray system right in front of the carbs.  The cone shaped filter is located
right behind the grill for good cold air, and the air hose routes past the
radiator (which had to be modified to allow the hose to pass) and then to the
box.  Having the air filter away from the carbs improves flow as well.  I don't
have any pics, but I do have a new digital camera and would be willing to send
you some.
Greg Burrows