Grattan Double Regionl Race Report

Subject: Grattan Double Regionl Race Report
From: Chris Coker <chriscoker@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 05:57:08 -0400
May 24-25 was my first visit to Grattan Raceway, in western Michigan.  The
track was wet Saturday morning, so I qualified on wets.  There were three
cars in GP - a nice Spitfire, and a nice looking, but slow, VW Rabbit.  I
out qualified the Spit by about 4 seconds in the wet, and the Rabbit got in
a couple of laps before retiring for the weekend.  I was qualified 17th over
all, out of about 25 cars.  My best lap was around 1:56

I got a great start for the race, and out horsepowered a stock motored 2L
Fiat running in EP.  A big pileup with the ITS cars in turn one, plus a few
other assorted incidents brough out the pace car for a couple of laps.
After the restart, the Spitfire gradually caught up with me, and we had  a
good clean battle before he eventually passed me.  The next lap, he spun off
the track after the "jump" turn, and I got a substantial lead on him.  He
was closing back in on me, but my lap times were getting better every lap,
sometimes by over a second a lap.  About two laps from the end, I threw a
fan belt, but the water temps were still OK.  In the turn 2-3 complex, the
coolant overflow hose came off of my new, trick, radiator, and I got a face
full of water!  At that point, the battle was off, and I pointed the
Spitfire by me.  I was able to limp the car home, and get a finish.  My best
lap was 1:43.8, and I finished 14th overall, 2nd in class.

On Sunday morning, about an hour before qualifying, I re-injured my back
that I strained loading the race car on Friday night.  Getting my driver's
suit on was a real chore, but once I got in the car and strapped in, I was
fine, and I could still get out of the car in a hurry, if I needed to.  I
took things easy, dealt with traffic during most of qualifying, but was able
to get a couple of quick laps in towards the end.  I was a few 10ths faster
than I was in the race on Saturday.  A little improvement each time, but I
was 3-4 seconds slower than the Spitfire.  So, I qualified 17th overall, and
2nd in GP again.

I had a pretty good start, and was working on getting comfortable with the
car, although I noticed that I initially had to pump the brakes once to get
a firm pedal on the pace lap, which was unusual.  I really started to push
the car a little harder, as I saw I was gaining on the Spitfire, and he was
only a couple cars ahead of me.  I passed and out-braked him going over the
"jump" turn, and started to pull away from him.  I found out after the race
that I turned a 1:39.0 that lap!   The next lap, I thought I could hear some
sort of dragging or scraping sound, and I started having a fuel pick-up
problem coming up through turn 3.  So, the Spitfire eventually re-passed me,
but I was able to bring the car home in one piece.

All in all, I'm very satisfied with the way the weekend went.  The new
radiator works great.  I normally had 160 water temps out on the track.
Carbs were running good, and I switched SU needles on Sunday to improve
performance, and also dialed in a little more advance, which seemed to work.
My hot-start problem that I had at my first race weekend seems to fixed as
well.  My goal for lap times was to try to be below 1:40 for my first time
at the track, and I met that goal.  I'll look at brakes and suspension this
week, and I'm planning on racing out at Waterford Hills, MI on May 31-June
1.

Keep the shiny side up!

--
Chris Coker