flush kits and lug nuts falling off

To: Datsun list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: flush kits and lug nuts falling off
From: Susan and Mark Miller <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 17:24:14 -0700
On catching coolant when using a flush kit: get two of them.  One for the water
to come in and one for the mixture to drain out (under pressure from the
inlet).  When I've used these I just plop it inline with heater hoses and
remove them after the flushing is complete.

And the lug nut issue: are they bottoming out when you tighten them?  If
someone lubed the lugs as some recommend the nuts could have a reservoir of
grease in them and are hydraulically 'locking' as tightened, but are still too
loose.  Or the lugs could be too long, causing the nuts to bottom out before
they press hard enough on the wheel.  Another of our cars was just 'recalled'
because people switching from alloy rims to steel rims for snow tires could be
introducing corrosion to the back of the wheels that can prevent the wheels
from being properly tightened (not an issue where I live, but the rust issue
could be true anywhere).  Or studs/nuts could be mismatched.  Or I could be the
mismatched nut here.

Mark Miller
whose 69 RHD Fairlady was an absolute blast zipping around West Sonoma County
(CA) for a few kid free days with my wife last week.   Aaah, unemployment does
have a good side.