Re: Water pump blues!

To: Paul <9laser3@bright.net>
Subject: Re: Water pump blues!
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2003 19:23:14 -1000
Paul wrote:

>  Is this like the
> thermostat tower where the bolts rust into the housing making it next to
> impossible to get off?  Any suggestions on how to get it off?

Yep, exactly :-(.  Except in this case there is only one long stud which is
resisting your efforts, rather than two.

It was a "bear", but I eventually managed to remove it by "attacking" the joint
between the spacer (mine's a '68) and the pump, at the location of that stud,
with a "thin" chisel.  I had previously tried heat and penetrating oil soaks to
no avail.  I managed to do it without destroying either the water pump or the
spacer.

That turned out to be very fortunate since the new water pump which I had been
shipped was wrong, and to use it I would have to change the fan and other things
( I don't remember, now., exactly what else).  I returned the new pump to the
vendor.

I ended up "refurbishing" and replacing the original pump.  I used a hex head
bolt in place of the original stud, and "antisieze", so that the next removal
would be much easier when/if required.

That was more than 2 years ago, and I haven't heard any sound (the reason I
wanted to replace it) out of the original pump yet :-).

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona