Re: Water pump blues!

To: 9laser3@bright.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water pump blues!
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:07:09 EDT
I just did one. Heat, penetrating oil, large hammer. The problem is that as
the stud rusts the rust takes up lots more room than the metal that rusts. So
the space packs totally full, and then some, getting really tight. A trick I
have used on the thermostat housing is to take a tiny drill and drill through
the rust between the stud and the housing. After working my way around and
adding penetrating oil it finally worked loose. If you are really sure you are
not
going to reuse the water pump drill sideways through through the aluminum to
the stud.
       Once I got it apart I fabricated stainless steel studs to replace the
stud and two bolts. Also installed them with anti-sieze. Won't have that
problem again, with that engine anyway.
       The stainless rod that I make studs out of comes in 6 foot lengths. So
I have lots left. Any interest in me making up some studs for water pumps and
thermostat housings?

                         keith williams