Re: Semi-OT cutting body panels

To: marc@animalfirm.com, Datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Semi-OT cutting body panels
From: JOver4X4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 23:39:55 EDT
Marc,

I have used both a nibbler and a radiac cutoff wheel to cut panels.  The
trick is to cut your patch panels first and then cut your hole to match
exactly.
I have always butt welded my panels with a mig welder.  Making a flange would
make the job easier but I like my repairs to be hidden.  Eastwood makes
flanging pliers if you are interested.  I chamfer the edges to be welded very
slightly making a "V" to lay weld in and tack the panel in several places
around the
edge to hold it in position.  Ensure that you keep the panel flush with the
surrounding metal.  Instead of making beads of weld I stitch weld or spot weld
around the edge of the panel and grind the spot welds as I go.  It takes some
time to stitch all the way around the panel but you build less heat and create
less warpage.  Tack a few welds on each side and move on to another edge.
Come back to visit the first edge later after it has fully cooled.  Continue
stitch welding and grinding alternating sides until you have fully welded in
the
panel.  This takes patience and some time but it is well worth it in the long
run.

Good Luck.

John Over
68 2000 (Solex engine in process)