RE: Semi-OT cutting body panels

To: "'Marc Tyler'" <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: RE: Semi-OT cutting body panels
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 22:50:21 +0930
Hi Marc,
I've done lots of patching both with pre-formed after market panels
and home shaped sheet steel.
I use an angle grinder cutting disc to section up the panels,
resorting to tin snips for detail work.
If you are going to use donor panels, make sure the panel has sound
metal on the edges or welding it will be difficult.
Try and avoid patching with a different thickness panel too for the
same reason.
I use oxy/acet for all my repairs (because that is all I have!), using
mostly a #4 tip for 1.6mm (1/16") sheet, #6 for 3mm (1/8") or greater.
I use the butt weld (unfortunate terminology) almost exclusively,
since any overlap can just make alignment and a smooth finish tough to
achieve.
A flanged joint will offer some rigidity to the panels during welding.
Ultimately, only the surface will be welded, the rest of the flange is
just adding anti-buckle strength during the process.
You can in some applications use a joggle joint but that can only be
brazed because the brazing creeps between the two sheets to make the
joint.
I haven't used anything but fusion welding in all my rust repairs
since that makes the patch part of the parent metal.
Have a look in my Imagestation Albums to see what an amateur can
achieve when doing rust repairs.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to email me.
Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 PL510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
www.imagestation.com/mypictures/index.html
Adelaide, South Australia.