RE: U20 Timing Noise

To: "Loren Berg" <lberg@minnetronix.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: U20 Timing Noise
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:14:34 -0700
Loren,

Welcome to the list.  It is a great place to ask and learn about your car.

What you are hearing is caused by an upper timing chain that has stretched.
That is the reason it is slapping the L (which I find very handy if I have
to work on the head), and other things inside of the timing chain area.

Gordon Glasgow has an excellent discussion of this problem on his web site.
You can reach his roadster pages, which have a LOT of useful information by
going to:

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/index.html

I replaced the upper chain in my engine as a short term answer to my problem
when I first put the parts car engine in my car.  There are no funny noises
from the chains now.  For my numbers matching engine I have a complete set
of new gears and chains waiting to be installed when I rebuild that engine.

Tom
69 2000
Portland, Oregon
www.fransfancies.com/datsun