Re: Clutch Mystery

To: nmleeds@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Clutch Mystery
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:16:36 -0500 (CDT)
Nethaniel,

There are a couple of other things that could be causing the problem,
unfortunately, both require pulling hte engine.

The pilot bearing may be in crooked, causing binding to the end of the
transmission input shaft. The pilot bearing could have an undersized
hole in it, not allowing hte trans shaft to rotate. Finally, you could
have a bent input shaft.

If you decide to pull the engine again for this, remove the clutch
completely, then bolt the trans to the engine. Put the trans in 3rd (5
sp), or 4th (4 sp) and turn the transmission output shaft. The there
should be little friction, no more than turning the trans without the
engine attached. If you can't turn it, or it is difficult to turn, the
problem is with the shaft or bearing.

If not, the problem is with the clutch disk or pressure plate. The disk
could be warped, allowing the disk to hit the flywheel and pressure plate
when the clutch is disengaged. Put the disk onto the trans input shaft and
spin it. If it wobbles, it is bad. Take the pressure plate to a cluth
rebuilder to have them check it out.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA