"Wiggle Test" - Conclusions...

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>, datsunmike
Subject: "Wiggle Test" - Conclusions...
From: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:11:04 -1000
(Alternative Subj:  Countergear Shaft Wear, 4spd.)

John and Mike:

Thank you very much for your observations and recommendations,
although they were contrary to what I "wanted to hear".  You
caused me to finally arrive at the right decision.

I really didn't want to go to the effort and expense in order to
rebuild the countergear assembly again - it had only been some
50,000 (+) miles since I had done it, and that original tranny
had gone more than 140,000 miles without "breaking teeth".

The "wiggle test" revealed only the slightest amount of motion,
and I was trying to rationalize that the tranny had "many more
miles in it" before any rebuild was required.  I already had
plenty to do, to get the Roadster back on the road.

I finally disassembled the transmission to the extent that I
could examine the countergear shaft.  It showed more wear than I
expected.  The attached photo, shows it, together with two other
(slightly rusty) countergear shafts.  The shaft on the left is
from my present tranny, the middle shaft was from it, as a "new
tranny" after 140,000 miles.  The one on the right was from a
tranny with unknown number of miles which started "breaking
teeth" in 3rd gear.  The amount of wear (roughly estimated by
thickness of feeler gage leaves) is .008, .012, and .070,
respectively.

I conclude that "any motion", AT ALL, is reason for rebuilding
the assembly!

Thanks, again!!

Dave
'68 1600
Kailua-Kona

p.s.  Any of the "cc" recipients of the "List", from whom the
attachment was "stripped", are welcome to the picture, if they
request.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
C'gear shafts 1]