Re: "Wiggle Test" - Conclusions...

To: "David R. Conrad" <conrad1@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: "Wiggle Test" - Conclusions...
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 17:53:46 -0500
David,

Now don't you feel much better checking it. Any time I had my 4 speed out I
always replaced the shaft and the bearings whether or not it needed it. I
had too many trannys that, after I opened them up, had mass destruction of
the countershaft and bearings - bar none. Several also had wiped out
countergears.

Countershafts and the bearings don't last much past 50K miles just like I
said, not that I mean to say I told you so. This is a result of poor design
by Nissan. I think they copied an MGA tranny that also has the same design
flaw. Not enough oil gets into the bearings and the fact that the bearings
are far too small for the load. All Nissan trannies after the Roadster's
used ball bearings for the countershaft and a completely different design.

Mike