Re: Is coolant flow to intake manifold needed?

To: DANIEL T HEINZE <dth104@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: Is coolant flow to intake manifold needed?
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:55:27 -0600
Dan,

I wouldn't recommend doing that for the street.

The heated intake manifold helps prevent fuel wetting on the intake
walls. Admitted the heated air means something like 3% less performance,
but does help drive ability in colder weather.

Has anyone ever experience "carb icing" with the SU's. My old 510 was
always experiencing it, yet never remember it occurring with the
roadster. Always assumed it was the SU design more than anything else
(constant velocity).

Cold, wet day, made me think of it. Funny on all my vehicles I could
usually "feel" the performance increase with cold weather. Yet, on my
truck... too darn heavy to notice, other than the rear wheels spinning
on first rain in a while.

Tom Walter