replaced cylinder head

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: replaced cylinder head
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:23:13 EST
Hello all,

       Swapped the cylinder head on Rick's '66 1600. The old head had 200 lbs
compression on a couple of cylinders. The timing had to be set at about 6
BTDC with premium gas for it to not ping. I took one of my extra heads and he
had
new springs, valves, milled to flatten, normal stuff done. Then I measured
the combustion chamber volumes. I worked them with the die grinder to raise the
"shelf" area opposite the valves so that the pistons would not bump and to
return the volume to stock. After the swap there is no pinging at about 15 BTDC
on premium. Once this tank is empty he is going to try some regular and see if
the timing can be set to 16 BTDC, where it belongs.
       On the old head you could see clean areas on one and four pistons
where they were just about touching the "shelf" area on the head. I am sure it
would have not passed the "set the head on with no head gasket" test.

keith "roadster ranch west" williams