Re: 50 dollar paint job

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 50 dollar paint job
From: TWFAUST@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:51:54 EST
In a message dated 2/28/2006 9:36:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mtyler@hctc.net writes:

> I have a couple cans of Rust-oleum in the shop that call for thinning
> with Acetone or mineral spirits.
>    There is a conventional wisdom out there that only catylized
> paints can be polished.  This isn't true Rust_Oleum is going to be
> much softer than a catylized urethane and may tend to burn or melt
> with a motorized buffer unless it's going really slow.  You may find
> that you will need to color sand, compound and polish entirely by
> hand after weeks of drying time.  If that's cool with you why not go
> that route :^)
>
> -Marc

I noticed in the moparts post that the question was asked as to whether or
not it should be gloss or flat, if it was being buffed. The answer, gloss.
Apparently the "glossing agent" goes right through and is not simply a surface.

Not a chemist, but it seems unusual that the same paint could be thinned with
acetone or mineral spirits.

Tom Faust