Re: Oil Leak... :-(

To: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>,
Subject: Re: Oil Leak... :-(
From: "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:23:43 -0500
Daryl,

How long had the engine ran before the oil leak to showed up?  Is this the
first time checking the water after the rebuild?  Have you re-torqued the
head since the rebuild? Sometimes after everything gets settled and
stretched small leaks can start showing up.  If there is a bad seal between
a water and oil passage, the higher pressure oil may be getting in the
water.  Re-torquing can seal these up.

Before taking off the head  I might pull the distributor and drive the oil
pump with a drill.  That way you can get oil pressure to check your oil
filter bypass.  Pull the valve cover and check for oil flow.  I found a
clogged passage going to the upper chain tensioned on a U20 that way.

Richard