Oil Leak... :-(

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Leak... :-(
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 13:16:51 -0800
Well, just had another setback the other night.

Ran my new engine to try to figure out where an oil leak was. Found it, and
shut the engine off.
While draining the oil (first change), I was checking over the engine and
pulled the rad cap off.

There is a small amount of oil in the coolant! Not much. Checking the oil that
I drained out
doesn't seem to have any coolant in it.

I also found that when I pulled the oil filter off there was very little oil
in it, I was expecting some overflow
when I lifted it, but there was NONE! I do have the "tube" in the filter
housing and it was also empty..?

I'm guessing, at a minimum, I should pull the head and the oil filter housing
to check them over.

I was at Ross's shop the other day and was told that some people eliminate the
oil filter bypass and I am considering that also.

Any advice as to what I should be doing, looking for? Trouble shooting on this
level is new to me.

Seems like one step forward, three back lately.

Thanks a bunch,
Daryl