RE: CNC headwork vs. CMM

To: rday@hot.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: CNC headwork vs. CMM
From: "Karl Payne" <karlepayne@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:45:05 -0700
Ron,
I think you are referring to a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) which is a
CNC driven machine, only it is an inspection machine, not a metal cutting
machine.  (BTW, there are manual CMM's as well, without
computer/servo-driven axes.)
And yes, a CMM can check all the following:
-Port and chamber matching
(It can tell you what the step height is, and where it is located)
-Stem tip height
(Sure, easy enough)
-Parallelism to the cam centerline
(No problem... but what are you checking that is parallel to cam CL?)

So yeah, it can check all this, but "setup" is up to you and what you do
with the CMM's output.  Typically it's a sheet full of numbers, X, Y and Z
data points compared to a datum (or datums) that are being used as reference
points.
You might be overthinking the setup process... if things are machined to
production tolerances you should have no trouble getting it back together.
Now if you want to double check your machinist's work, that is another can
of worms.
The only thing (in cyl. heads) a CMM can't check very well, in my
experience, is the concentricity of the valve seat to the valve guide bore.
We always used a dedicated hard gauge to check this.

Karl Payne