[Roadsters] Delco 10SI Alternator question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Delco 10SI Alternator question
From: "Matthew A. Smith" <matthews517@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:34:17 -0400
Hi All,

Long time no see!

I have been running a 10SI alternator on Loreli for several months now.
Here's the issue. At idle (approx 700 RPM), the alt doesn't put out enough
power to fully power the headlights. My solution was to put a smaller pulley
on the alt. This seems to have worked OK. (FYI, this is no easy task. That
nut is on there REALLY TIGHT!!!)

My question involves the wiring for the alt. I have a 10 ga wire going to
the battery from the alt stud. I have a 10 ga wire going from the alt stud
to the #1 terminal on the alt (yes, yes, everything I've seen says it goes
to the #2 terminal). I have an idiot light going from the + side of the coil
to the #2 terminal. I also have a 10 ga wire going to the original red BATT
wire for the stock alt (thru a 30 amp maxi fuse as suggested on 311s.org)
just to cover all my bases.

Why does my alternator work wired like this and not when wired correctly?
i.e. alt stud to #2 and idiot light to #1? When looking at the alt from the
rear, the case is marked as #1 on the left (it's also marked with an R) and
#2 on the right (also marked with an F). All schematics I've found state
that #1 is Field which should have the idiot light and #2 is Sense which
should have power from the alt stud.

Ideas?

Matt Smith and Loreli

She's a 70' Silver Solex

P.S. My treatments continue. They're being effective, but it's really
getting old.