[Roadsters] filling up a '70 1600 cooling system

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] filling up a '70 1600 cooling system
From: Roel Hammerschlag <sky@drizzle.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:43:10 -0700
Hi folks,

I have a 1970 1600.  At the risk of embarrassing myself:

Every time I drain the cooling system I have the most incredibly
difficult time filling it back up.  Because the thermostat's closed,
it's virtually impossible to get the block filled with water.  The very
suboptimal solution I've come up with is to run the engine half dry
until the thermostat opens despite not being submerged (the temp gauge
usually reads over 260 before this happens) and then sloooowwwwwly
adding more fluid into the running engine so as not to crack anything.
There's GOT to be a better way.  Can someone help me out?

- Roel

P.S. I also don't really understand how that reservoir tank on the side
works, either.  Maybe this is part of my problem.  I try to keep it
roughly half full like the original manual says.