[Roadsters] Vent replacements - Installation tips

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: [Roadsters] Vent replacements - Installation tips
From: "peter harrison" <granvillecomputing@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 21:02:22 -0700
The oval vent gaskets on my car were trashed - helllo - so I bought some new
ones from Dean. (quite reasonably priced in my opinion)
Installiing them was another matter. Remember that Datsun only supplied
these as a a complete unit. There is a residue of the former "gasket"
sandwiched between the 'spindle' and the plate. I had nothing in my tool
arsenal thin enough to clean it out. (again remember that this was an
assembled part - they put the gasket on the plate and riveted it on)
So, it wasn't working for me.
I drilled out the rivets, tapped it with an 8-32 tap and re-assembled.
Of course, since the stuff was available, I decided to paint it, so I
possibly have the best lookig vents in the roadster universe (as if anyone
is going to look)

Overall, it takes less time to do this than to "clean' it out and try and
fit the gasket on.

Peter
Eliza '70 SPL TOADSAN