Re: [Roadsters] How to warm up a Roadster?

To: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>, Paul <9laser3@bright.net>,
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] How to warm up a Roadster?
From: alvin gogineni <alvingogi@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 21:29:14 +0000
Choke this, pull that, turn this, push that...I actually kept the hand
throttle and choke knobs in the dash because they look cool! Do they work,
hell no! Just turn the key and go :)
SCREW that...
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2559036190101854788CqcEEYAlvin GogineniSan
Jose, CA67.5 SPL/SR20> Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:41:15 -0700> From:
gkmcc@sbcglobal.net> To: 9laser3@bright.net; James@jdfogg.com;
datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] How to warm up a
Roadster?> > Technically it is not a choke, as it does not physically restrict
airflow to produce a richer mixture, but functionally it does the same thing,
just bass-ackwards because of the way these weird ol' carbs work!> > Gary
McCormick> San Jose, CA> '70 2000 SRL311-13291> > Paul <9laser3@bright.net>
wrote: Did everybody forget that roadsters with SUs do NOT have real
'chokes'.> Pulling the choke handle only lowers the needle seat making a
bigger opening> for fuel to the venturi, richening the mixture.> > Paul> Ohio>
> ----- Original Message -----> From: James Fogg > To: > Sent: Thursday,
September 27, 2007 4:02 PM> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] How to warm up a
Roadster?> > > > > -----Original Message-----> > > From: Mark Dent
[mailto:mark@dealermats.com]> > > Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:20 PM>
> > To: James Fogg; datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> > > Subject: Re:
[Roadsters] How to warm up a Roadster?> > >> > > Opening the choke does not
lean out the mixture, it richens it.> >> >> > I'm not sure how you figure
this. From the perspective of the butterfly> > valve, pulling on the choke
handle closes the valve. Pushing the choke> > handle toward the dash opens the
butterfly valve. When the valve is> > closed the fuel ratio is enriched
because of greater vacuum in the> > venturi. Since air is easier to "pull"
than fuel and the carburetor is> > set up for a certain balance of air/fuel,
if you block the air entry> > (close the choke) you change the balance of fuel
to air.> >> > Everything I've been taught says you enrich the air/fuel mixture
http://www.team.net/archive> >> >