Re: [Roadsters] front quarter removal--thanks all

To: E Scanlon <escanlon@wa-net.com>, "datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] front quarter removal--thanks all
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 6:21:51 -0700
Now that I have removed all the rust--er...I mean doors and quarter panels, now
I see what I could not see: The head of the bolts were already gone.

No wonder I couldn't figure out how to remove the quarter panels. At first and
second and even third look, it appeared that the heads of the bolts must have
been INSIDE the A pillars. Both quarter panels were rusted to the body and when
a PO had tried to remove the quarter panels, he or she only managed to break
off the bolt heads. This does not surprise me since I broke nearly every fender
bolt with less then 10 pounds of pressure. The A pillars were rusted out all
the way around. It is a wonder we didn't break the car in half when we loaded
it onto the flat bed. I swear I saw the frame flexing when I was putting the
car on jack stands!!!

Like I said, this car is a basket case. The only good part of this story is the
car has not been on the road since 1981 so I did get a solid windshield, low
mileage two liter block and five speed tranny and a few other nice chrome bits.

Thanks for everyone's help!!

Tim
Belleville, WI.
'70 SPL AND SRL
Still clueless but always learning

---- E Scanlon <escanlon@wa-net.com> wrote:

Remove the doors.

Then again, if you don't mind trashing the edge of the fender and/or the
doors, then a 1/4" socket with extensions and a swivel....maybe...

FWIW