Re: [Roadsters] oil coming out at base of spark plug U20

To: chalsted <chalsted@comcast.net>, <andycost@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] oil coming out at base of spark plug U20
From: Jim InVirginia <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:55:01 -0400
Back by nr 3, is that an area of the head that contains any oil passages?
Only thing
I can think of is not good....a weird crack in the head that allows oil to
pass from a gallery to the vicinity of
the spark plug hole.

My trouble shooting idea:   Take an electric drill thru the distributor hole
to the oil pump drive and remove nr 3 spark plug.
Turn the oil pump with the spark plug removed and maybe you can get a better
idea of where the oil is coming from.
If its not too bad and is not near any stressed areas of the head, maybe some
delicate aluminum welding can fix it.

Just my rough idea of a method....happy to hear why this will or will not
work.

Best Regards,
Jim in Chesapeake
67 stroker 5 spd "SAKE RKT"
65 1600 parts car
72 510 Sportwagon Project
96 Miata M edition daily driver (just passing 140K miles)

> From: chalsted@comcast.net> To: andycost@embarqmail.com> Date: Thu, 19 Jun
2008 15:30:11 -0400> CC: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net> Subject: Re:
[Roadsters] oil coming out at base of spark plug U20> > nope. not dripping
down from the valve cover gasket. I wiped everything dry > after I first saw
oil coming down from that area and then fired it up again > and looked with a
light and my glasses on- it's welling out from around the > base of the spark
plug. have a feeling I won't be finding out the answer > without pulling the
head :-( have another low mileage rebuilt U20 sitting > in the shop that I
heard run within the last couple months before I pulled > it (terminal chassis
rust car) and I'm tempted to just swap it into the car > and deal with
whatever the problem is with this engine later on... quickest > way to driving
the car :-)> > Craig