Re: [Roadsters] Newbie

To: Mark Zitterich <mzitterich@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Newbie
From: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:23:18 -0700 (PDT)
A lot has been answered but I'll throw in a couple of comments...

> 1.  Does the gearbox (4sp) and differential take 75W-90?

The "real" datsun manual doesn't specify, Chiltons says 140 for
temps over 32. The scans of the owners manual on 311s.org may say.

> 2.  Is there an aftermarket electronic ignition system available?

The "Gary Boone" distributor, now made by <oops, I'm sorry but I've
forgotten...>. Works on R-16 and U-20 and a darn good investment.

> 3.  The oil pressure and fuel guages work, but not the temp?

Oil gauge is mechanical. Fuel and temp are electrical. As stated, the
sender is on the left front side of the head, sticking out sideways,
and directly under a smallish 90 degree metal pipe/fitting that hooks
to the tube underneath the carbs. You do NOT suffer the same problem
with grounding that the U20 people have.

To test: unplug the wire from the sender and use a piece of wire
to ground it to the frame/block. Turn on the key. If the gauge zooms
to H the sender is bad. If the gauge doesn't move, either the wire
between the gauge and the sender is bad, the gauge itself is bad,
of the wire that supplies power to the gauge is bad (power for both
the fuel and temp gauges comes from a gadget that provides pulsating
voltage - a discussion for later).

Getting the sender out can be problematic. You could really get
yourself  in a pickle if you force things, so be careful. You don't
want to be pulling the head and taking it to a machine shop :-)

> 4.  What is the toggle switch on the left side of the steering wheel for?

You mean the hi/low headlight beam switch?

-- John
     John F Sandhoff sandhoff@csus.edu  Sacramento, CA