Re: [Roadsters] Fifth Gear Neutral

To: "'Gary and Cindy Ault'" <aultgc@att.net>, "'Roadster mailist'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Fifth Gear Neutral
From: "Brian Hollands" <bhollan4@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:10:08 -0500
The issue is not slippage where the gear meets the mainshaft - it's that the
gear itself is two pieces which slip.  You'd need to put a key in between
the two pieces of the gear itself.  That's why the latter ones are splined.

BRIAN HOLLANDS
69 2000
Tampa FL

Has anyone out there ever had a 5-speed main shaft and fifth gear machined
for
a woodruff key?  If feasible, that would certainly eliminate the possibility
of the dreaded "5th gear neutral" condition.

I checked the PMWIKI secion on 311s.org, but found very little about
overhauling a 5-speed.  Did I miss something?