Re: [Roadsters] Header/starter fit issue

To: John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>, boakes@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Header/starter fit issue
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:28:03 -0800 (PST)
John,

The operative words in your post are "in good shape without any
cracks".  I put
a 1969 U20 into my '66 1600 in mid-1972.  Despite having the
little brace
between the manifold and the motor mount in place, the header
split at the seam
between cylinders 2 and 3.  I brazed it closed.  No good.
It split again.  I
may have tried having it welded, I don't recall.  So, I
bought a new factory
manifold (pretty easy in the late 70s).  In time -- and
not a long time -- it,
too split at the seam.  (No, the carbs were not
running lean.)  I now have a
Quick Trip header which has been on the car for
at least 25 years and has yet to
cause me a problem.

I cannot speak to the
1600 exhaust manifolds, but IMHO, the 2000 manifolds have
a fundamental
design flaw -- they are overstressed at that center seam.

Gary