fot

RE: Align Boring for Cam Bearings

To: "'DLDEAD@worldnet.att.net'" <DLDEAD@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: RE: Align Boring for Cam Bearings
From: SOLOW GREG <gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 02:16:37 -0800
Good machine shop work is hard to find.  Shop around for price on the =
align bore and cam bearing=20
job, but get some references that you can check on as to the quality of =
the work.  You don't, I am=20
sure want to end up with a ruined block.  As to shot peening, I =
certainly don't recommend doing that to any standard English con rods.  =
When we were racing a Lotus Super 7 in the early 70's, the only rods =
that ever came up not passing magnaflux inspection were shot peened .  =
On two occasions when a crank broke and bent two rods each time into =
pretzels, the rods still passed a mag inspection  after the blow up. =
These rods had not been shot peened.   I would much rather have a rod =
bend than have it break.  My theory ( and I am certainly open to better =
information) is that standard English rods are in an "as forged" =
condition, which is pretty soft.  Shot penning work hardens the surface =
of the rod.  Under=20
high rpm inertia loads the rod wants to stretch, the inside metal is not =
hard enough to resist the load and stretches.  The outside that has been =
shot peened is very hard and will not stretch, so it cracks.  If the =
rods were heat treated to the proper overall hardness before the shot =
peening, then they would probably come out strong and tough as we would =
like them to be.  I like to smooth all of the irregularities from the =
surfaces of the rods and then GLASS PEEN them. If done with the=20
proper size beads and with the correct air pressure, this gives a proper =
uniform surface finish with=20
no stress risers and should stress relieve the surface with out the =
detrimental work hardening.=20