fot

Re: Monterey

To: Bill Babcock <billbab2@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Monterey
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 07:32:09 -0600
Bill Babcock wrote:

> That's the great thing about owning Peyote, as Baxter
> will tell you. You get to blow by loads of cars that
> spend more on maintenance in a month that Peyote cost
> outright. I used to have a certain reverence for
> Testarossas, now I think of them as moving chicanes at
> the entrance of high speed corners. Wot fun.
>
> --- Bill Warner <bwarner@mediaone.net> wrote:
> > A long time ago....like 1978.....I went to the first
> > vintage race at
> > Watkins Glen in my Brabham BT-8.  It was an ex-Denny
> > Hulme/Tourist
> > Trophy winner that I found in a South Carolina junk
> > yard.  I restored it
> > top the TT livery and it was pretty fast.  The
> > vintage race was
> > sponsored by the Ferrari Club of America, and they
> > gridded us according
> > to pecking order....not qualifying times.   Needless
> > to say, my
> > friend Gordon Gimbel from California and I were
> > gridded toward the back
> > of the pack.   When the green dropped Gordon (in a
> > 289 Comp Cobra)
> > and I blew by some Greenwich, CT. gold-chain-and
> > Gucci guy (with the
> > skinny blonde girlfriend) who was driving a 250LM (I
> > went by on the
> > right...Gordon on the left) and disappeared.   It
> > was one of the
> > highlights of my  not so stellar driving career
> > which I still remember
> > today.  It was so sweet eating up those red cars.
> > Though I must say,
> > one car, a series II GTO was well driven by a great
> > driver, Bob
> > Donner from Denver.   Those were fun days.
> > Regretably, I had to sell
> > the BT-8 in 1989, and I am not so sure I would want
> > to race it
> > today....too fragile...plus one had to lay down
> > between two 11 gallon
> > gas tanks....no fuel cells.   I'm too old for that.
> > Bill Warner
> >
> > > Kevin,
> > > It's called "Auto-Elitism"  in which owners of
> > certain marques look
> > down their noses at other ones.  It usually comes
> > with the cost of
> > > the toys in question!
> > >
> > > Joe

> > Monterey thinks
> > Triumph too
> > back...I think.

Speaking of interesting old specials, there used to be a special that
had a straight six GMC 270 engine in it with a twelve port cross flow
head. I feel sentimental about old Jimmies because in the late 50's I
drove a 39 Chevy coupe with a Jimmy 270 in it on the street. Even drove
it across the country on our honeymoon.

Anybody know if that special still exists?

--

uncle jack

The Attorney General advises that vintage racing may be hazardous to
your wealth.