fot

Re: Spitfire axel conversion

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, <EISANDIEGO@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire axel conversion
From: "John Kipping" <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:38:26 +1200
Joe,
The early Spitfire diffs are the main problem (up to axle number FC120,000 -
the change was in 1967 when the Herald 13/60 came out with the bigger
shafts) as the inner shafts will shear with abuse. There are in fact two
types of these with splines that are either cut or rolled, the rolled ones
are better but the cure is to use the indestructable bigger shafts which
means a different carrier and rear casing. (all subsequent carriers also
have a bigger cross pin which is also better). The next main cause of
mechanical failure is teeth coming off the pinion and this is probably a
combination of excessive slop from worn or broken thrust washers and perhaps
something to do with old oil. However there are times when perfectly set up
units have teeth failure and this could be to do with materials used, I'm
not an expert on it so can't add any more.
John Kipping