fot

Re: Spitfire axel conversion

To: John Kipping <johnkipping@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Spitfire axel conversion
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2002 14:33:50 -0700
John Kipping wrote:

> Joe,
> The early Spitfire diffs are the main problem (up to axle number FC120,000 -
> the change was in 1967 when the Herald 13/60 came out with the bigger
> shafts) as the inner shafts will shear with abuse. There are in fact two
> types of these with splines that are either cut or rolled, the rolled ones
> are better but the cure is to use the indestructable bigger shafts which
> means a different carrier and rear casing. (all subsequent carriers also
> have a bigger cross pin which is also better). The next main cause of
> mechanical failure is teeth coming off the pinion and this is probably a
> combination of excessive slop from worn or broken thrust washers and perhaps
> something to do with old oil. However there are times when perfectly set up
> units have teeth failure and this could be to do with materials used, I'm
> not an expert on it so can't add any more.
> John Kipping

John,
As you may recall, I am using a Quaife LSD and it is common knowledge (you told
me this) that the Quaife will not work with the early Diff.  This
covers me on all the issues you mention.

Recently I changed my rear gears from a 4.11 to a 3.63 and have gained the use
of first gear.  Previously, I was only able to take off in second
because of the rather low gearing of the Honda 6-Speed gearbox.  This seems to
make the gearing pretty much what I was after.  I am still going to go
back to the 20" tall rear slicks (from the 22" ones I am now running) but there
is too much rubber on the ones on the car to throw them out yet!  That
should both help my center of gravity and the final gearing.

Thanks for the reply.