fot

RE: Spit cams?

To: "Mark J Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spit cams?
From: "Russ Moore" <rem@CBORD.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:21:27 -0400
The Mk 1 and Mk2 engines (FC prefix engine#)were 1147cc and had replacable cam
bearings. The early 1296 with the FE and FD prefixed engine (small crank) also
had the replacable cam bearings. The cam shaft journals were the same size on
these engines as a result of sharing the common cam bearings.
Differences started when the 1300 (1296 w/ an FK prefix) engine went to it's
large crank version. These engines did not have cam bearings and as was later
done in the 1500cc engine (FM prefix engine #), the cam shafts ran directly in
the block. What a number of folks have done is to use cam bearings in these
later engines and then use a cam with the smaller journals. Works quite well in
fact.
The difference in cam journals then between the small and large crank engines
is equal to the cam bearing dimension.
Glad to elaborate if needed.

Russ Moore