fot

Re: Silverstone Wheels?

To: Rikrock@aol.com
Subject: Re: Silverstone Wheels?
From: Bill Rosenbach <wgrosenbach@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:07:42 -0600
When I bought my GT-6 it came with a pair of ARE Silverstone wheels on
the back. On the inside of the wheel, between the spoke section and the
back section of the wheel was cast into the aluminum 'American Racing
Equipment Silverstone 13 X 4.5  1/4 Negative Offset'. The only thing they
had going for them, aside from being a good looking wheel that looked as
if it belonged on the car was the 4 on 3-3/4 bolt circle. One was fitted
with a two ear imitation knock off that someone at sometime must have
mistaken for a real one and bent and cracked it.

The set of magnesium Silverstones now black from years of neglect) have
no similar markings. Even so, never thought any were reproductions.

There is a wheel for VW Beetles that looks like the Silverstone. Those
were not ARE products and they were only 15" and 4.5" or 5" wide. Still
see lots of those around.

I called ARE some years back after hearing a rumor that they were
producing the Silverstones again. The woman I spoke to told me they were
not making them. When I asked if they had wheels in the 3-3/4 bolt circle
she abruptly said NO! Then rudely added, and we don't ship wheels
undrilled.

Bill
70 GT-6+

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:26:38 EDT Rikrock@aol.com writes:
> Bon Amici,
>
> I have some questions about the 8-spoke ARE "Silverstone" wheels.
>
> First, were there replicas?  If yes, how did a replica differ from
> the real
> thing?
>
> Did all of the real Silverstones have numbers and/or letters cast in
> the
> backside of the wheel?
>
> Rich Rock

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!