fot

rememberance day

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: rememberance day
From: <walt@hot-tr6.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:12:56 -0700
My Dad was a tail gunner in a B-24. Flew 30 missions over Germany. Only
injury he had was that he lost most of his hearing. Never complains. He
thinks it was an honor to serve.
In my Dad's home town in Riley, Kansas, on Dec. 8, 1941 there were 110 boys
in the Riley County High School, some as young as 15 years old, they all
went and enlisted in the Marines on that day . Some lied about their age and
some got signed letters from their parents stating that it was OK to enlist.
When WWII was over 10 of these men came home.
I have an uncle that past away 3 years ago that was one of the ten that came
home. He was a coreman in the Marines and saw action in Iowa Jima,
Guadelcanel, and Tarawa. He was wounded 11 times at Tarawa. All minor wounds
but he carried those scars on his body to his grave. He was a gentle guy,
not bitter. He was great with kids. He used to take me fishing a lot. Great
sense of humor.
I have an uncle Jack that is just 5 years older than myself that did three
tours in Viet Nam. Squad leader, night ambush.
Two bronze stars and one purple heart. Another great guy.
We owe men like these everything.
Freedom is not free.

Walt Hollowell
Abq., NM