fot

RE: sway bar

To: "'Larry Young '" <cartravel@pobox.com>,
Subject: RE: sway bar
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:06:17 -0800
 If you move the bar mounting point inwards, you decrease the mechanical
advantage of the lever arm, so it requires more force to move it, making the
bar stiffer. No different from using a short wrench.

Moving the mounting point out on the suspension means the mounting point
moves farther for the same deflection of the suspension. Looking at it
another way, it's like you're giving the force of the bar a better
mechanical advantage (a longer wrench).

Your first two sentances are right, but your conclusion is wrong. We're
talking about the torque required, not the amount of power required. Same
force, longer distance is more power, but that's not the issue.

Your last sentance illustrates the limitations of extremes in visualizing
mechanical systems. It's true, but you take the wrong conclusion from it. If
you did that (moved the connection to the centerline of the bar) your
suspension would not move at all. The suspension would be completely stiff
except for the bending (not twisting) of the bar.