fot

alloy head, for 6 cylinder

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: alloy head, for 6 cylinder
From: "Terry and Cindy" <Roadandtrack2@hypermax.net.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:29:14 +1000
I am part-way thru a fairly serious study of manufacturing an alloy head
to replace the cast iron one on the TR6 & GT6 Mk2. It will be based on
the late 1970's spec head which has better port shapes to provide some
swirl.

I am not aware of any such head being available anywhere--can anyone
correct me on that??

At this stage, I have costings for patterns etc. I have identified
modern lightweight valves & springs. The port locations will be as per
factory at this stage, but much better results could be achieved if I
move them, but this will mean new manifolds are required. It is most
likely we will stick with minor changes to the factory locations that
can be accommodated with existing manifolds. Similarly, at this stage,
the proposal is to retain the provision for factory rockers but cast the
pedestal blocks higher--they can then be machined down as required. I
will make a minor change to the casting to allow water to be fed direct
to the back of the head.

To make this viable I need to ascertain the market requirements and
likely volume. As my business is reasonably well known here in
Australia, I have some info on likely local purchasers.

I would ask anyone with potential interest to contact me and we'll see
where it leads. If this goes ahead I will be looking for someone in the
USA to co-ordinate and/or distribute them. It is likely that this will
be a 1-off deal, as we have to cast & machine a considerable number to
make it sensible.

At this stage it is impossible to quote prices, as it will come down to
volume. It chicken and egg really. As a guide only, the alloy heads for
MGB's sell in the US for around US$900. I doubt the TR ones will ever
get down that low.

Thanks in advance

Terry O'Beirne
Road & Track