fot

Tires for TR3 and TR4

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Tires for TR3 and TR4
From: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:19:19 -0400
Hi gang,

We had a fantastic time at Watkins Glen last weekend, when I get a moment
I'll write a report. But more important things to ponder at the moment...

After a trip to Bob Woodman Tires I found a set of Hoosier Vintage TD
5.5X15 cost me $885, including mounting, balancing and tax. It is well
known that Hoosier changed the compound of our tire this year making it
softer, and pretty much limiting it's life to less than 2 race weekends.

So I started thinking. I think we have done plenty of upgrades to enhance
the safety of our cars (the Southwick axle and front hubs, and the uprated
spindles) so that our cars can safely handle different rubber.

I talked to the TR racers at the Glen, and asked them what tire would we
LIKE to run, then we should see if we can get Jack Woerle to approve it.
Jeff Snook opened the door by chatting with Jack at the Saturday dinner,
and Jack is open to a conversation about our tires.

So, the ball is in our court. I would like a tire that meets any, but
preferrably all, of these requirements. I want a tire that is faster, lasts
longer and is cheaper than the Hooiser Vintage TD. I also want World Peace,
and have similar expectations about our tire selections...

I'm assuming Jack Woerle is going to stick to his guns on the requirement
for a 60 series profile.

Jeff and Randy Williams want a tire that will fit under the stock bodywork
of their TR3's.

Tony, I know you are planning to experiment with a different tire, have you
had the chance to run them yet?

Bob Kramer, I know this is a subject near and dear to you, do you have any
recommendations?

Does anyone have any experience with the Hooiser Street TD that can offer a
comparison to the Vintage TD? I know the Street TD is a little shorter and
wider than the Vintage TD, and some wicked fast cars run them and seem to
drive where ever they damn well want to on the track.