fot

RE: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: RE: Rear Trailing arm bushes IRS cars
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 10:40:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005, Bill Babcock wrote:

> I would think poly mounts on a street car would be hideous. I guess people
> always think stiffer is better for the same reason they think bigger is
> better. A certain Freudian sense of longing perhaps? In a race car we're
> looking for precision and don't mind replacing bits that wear out in a year.

Seeing that everyone is "lining up" behind one camp, I figured that I
might as well respond to this one...

1. I have been running poly rear bushing on my street TR6 for about 10
years. I have had the suspension apart for varying reasons on a couple of
occasions... everything looks okay, no cracks or distorted/broken parts.

2. no matter what you think about poly bushings, I tell everyone to
replace the upper A-arm bushings with poly unless they like replacing the
upper bushings every couple of years.

3. I LOVE the ride in my street car with the all poly bushings. It's nice
and tight and there are no suspension rattles or squeaks or anything like
that.

4. Data point - I've driven about 40k miles with this setup. It is so much
nicer than the stock setup, I've never been "surprised" with how the
suspension works since the upgrade. Note: no "Triumph Twitch".

5. The rubber on the new bushings appears to be not the same as the rubber
on the original bushings... the new parts come apart faster than the
original - this is why I went to poly. I had replaced the rear bushings
and the "new" bushings were cracked and falling apart after two years.

Always the contrarian...

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx