fot

Re: Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:50:15 GMT
A few years ago I bored a batch of 83mm liners to 88.5 mm in a cnc lathe with
the intention on then having them finished honed in a block to 89mm.  A bunch
of them split open in the boring process.  After I had a set completed we
decided that the walls were much too thin and that under load the rings would
not seat and we would loose compression.  We abandoned the idea and bought
more new liners from Ken G.  Yes the new can be expensive and it seems a wast
not to use the old liners, but in the long run the new ones are much better.
They are thicker and will deflect less.

I have had 83mm liners bored to 86 successfully and some 86 honed out to 87,
but it was not cost effective.  Joe(B)