fot

Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Boring Liners-Sharing Info & Experience
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:38:24 EST
FoT:

I spent Wednesday next to a boring machine and a hone.

Project: Produce Remanufactured Cylinders

Using a TR3/4 Clinder Block and a Gasket Works Torque Plate I can produce a
rebored and honed cylinder liner to perfection, however.....

It takes too much TIME to do it.

Essentially, my observation is that the skirt gets quite thin at 87MM and it
is not positively located.

With a single point tool on a boring bar, the skirt goes undersize. With a
slip fit condition in the block, it seems that I get some deflection of the
skirt.  This can be overcome with a second 'fly cut' with lower tool pressure.
(TIME)

The honing operation yields a slight undersize condition, too.  This can be
overcome by overriding the hone cycle and letting the hone head dwell in the
skirt area, rechecking, and repeat hone until complete.  (TIME)

Perfect Part with Great OEM Material.
Too much TIME required for any volume.

Conclusion:  Stabilize Skirt Area

Solution: Design and Produce a fixture that fully controls the shape of the
cylinder liner.  I have a few ideas.

Comments/Encouragement:    ????

Why am I doing this?   I really like the idea of recycling the 86 mm OEM
Cylinder Liners to 87MM, and I can do it for myself. (and Jack)  I would do
more
for others if there is enough interest and I can develop fixturing to my
satisfaction.

This is a longer term project, that I work on when I have my own specific
needs, so it wont happen quickly, regardless.

Joe Alexander